The City of Fond du Lac is accepting applications for the position of Civil Engineer. This full-time position reports directly to the City Engineer/Deputy Director of Public Works and will develop plans and specifications for public works engineering projects, and supervise and coordinate the construction of public works projects.
Various duties and responsibilities include:
• Assist in planning, design, and the preparation of all types of Public Works projects.
• Analyze planning reports of others and formulate recommendations into specific detailed, precise and technically accurate engineering plans and specifications.
• Provide engineering design and technical assistance to the water utility for water distribution system expansions.
• Prepare plans and reports for submission and approval on sanitary sewer and water distribution installations by the DNR and other authorizing agencies.
• Prepare cost estimates, assessment documents and reports for Public Works projects.
• Use sound engineering judgment and scientifically accepted methods in providing solutions and avoidances related to City related projects having impact on the municipality.
• Assist Engineering Division staff with research, field surveys and plan preparations as necessary.
• Supervise and monitor the construction of Public Works projects. Prepare schedules and coordinate work of City staff, utilities, contractors, etc., affected by Public Work projects.
• Work with project personnel to coordinate timetables, methods and progress of projects resulting in satisfactory completion.
• Determine the acceptable quantity of work completed and/or materials furnished on projects and prepare payment estimates due contractors.
• Assist Engineering Technicians and Inspectors with layout, testing and inspection of Public Works projects.
• Maintain communications and good working relations with personnel involved in Public Works projects.
• Provide assistance in an engineering capacity to other City departments and the general public.
• Maintain rapport with business and citizens affected by Public Works projects and develop alternatives to inconveniences encountered by same.
• Supervise and coordinate the work of Engineering Technicians and Seasonal Employees during field activity.
• Assist in the training, development and education of engineering aides and technicians in accordance with accepted engineering policies and procedures.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited college or university with civil engineering experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. Registration as a professional engineer or the ability to become registered in a 4 to 5 year period is desired.
The City of Fond du Lac offers a comprehensive benefit package including health and life insurance, as well as participation in Wisconsin Retirement. The first review of applications will be on Friday, May 15, 2020.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a completed application and resume describing your experience as it relates directly to this position. You may obtain application materials by clicking below, or contacting City Human Resources at (920) 322-3624.