The City of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, is a beautiful and thriving community of 44,678 located at the foot of Lake Winnebago. Fond du Lac is a great place to live and work and its recreational opportunities are second-to-none. In addition, Fond du Lac is only an hour away from Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Madison and all those communities have to offer.
We are seeking candidates for the position of Engineering Specialist/Technician I within the Department of Public Works Engineering Division. This full-time position reports to the City Engineer. The applicant is under direct supervision to perform skilled and technical work in the field and the office in conjunction with various municipal (civil) engineering projects. Other areas of involvement include mapping and design in AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and GIS software; research and design of projects; and maintenance of records, plans, and data. The person is responsible for identifying and performing engineering technical duties which follow prescribed methods and procedures, but which involve the application of previously learned engineering, surveying, and heavy construction methods.
Ideal candidates will have the following knowledge, skills, experience and/or ability to learn efficiently to accomplish the duties and responsibilities needed to fulfill the City mission:
1. Perform field inspections to ensure that projects are completed according to specifications; maintains construction records as required.
2. Perform boundary and topographical survey field work.
3. Use electronic surveying and data collection equipment to develop horizontal control and to set up center lines and base lines as required.
4. Develop vertical control by setting bench loops for the City Benchmark system.
5. Record field notes so that plan, profile, and cross sections can be drafted by others.
6. Perform construction stake-out of city projects and review stakeout and cut sheets.
7. Provide information and assistance to the general public regarding construction projects.
8. Confer with and assist the general public regarding inconveniences from and possible solutions to construction activities.
9. Perform miscellaneous survey work such as determining ownership lines of particular parcels for the purpose of assessments, condemnations, etc.
10. Design and stakes out work for City Public Works and other City Department crews.
11. Train, supervise and direct the activities of Engineering Aides and seasonal employees.
Qualifications, Required Training and Experience include:
High school graduate with technical training in civil engineering and surveying, and one to two years engineering or construction experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalency sufficient to conform to the list of qualifications. Experience in AutoCAD, especially in Civil 3D, design, is preferred; however, willing to train.
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive benefit package including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; long-term disability; 457 and Roth retirement plans; and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. This continues to be one of the best-funded public employee retirement systems in the country. The financial strength of the WRS is attributable to its unique plan design, funding discipline, strong governance, and the effective investment strategies of the State of Wisconsin Investment Board. Relocation and Educational Assistance is also available.
Paid Time Off: We offer a generous paid time off package including compensatory time in lieu of overtime, 9 standard holidays, 5 floating holidays, sick leave (8 hours/month); and vacation schedule based on previous career and field experience.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive compensation package ($25.13 – $28.71/hour) based upon knowledge, skills, and abilities with potential to receive additional step increases based on meeting and/or exceeding goals/expectations; annual COLA and step increases pending City Council approval of budgets; and future promotional opportunities in alignment with succession and career path.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a City Application, or a detailed resume and/or cover letter describing your interest and experience as it relates directly to this position to Jackie Braatz (email@example.com) Open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer
2023 Employee Benefits Summary