The City of Fond du Lac is accepting applications for the position of Engineering Technician I within the Department of Public Works Engineering Division. This full-time position reports to the City Engineer/Deputy Director Public Works. The applicant is under direct supervision to perform skilled and technical work in the field and the office in conjunction with various municipal (civil) engineering projects. Other areas of involvement include mapping and design in AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and GIS software; research and design of projects; and maintenance of records, plans, and data. The person is responsible for identifying and performing engineering technical duties which follow prescribed methods and procedures, but which involve the application of previously learned engineering, surveying, and heavy construction methods.
Various duties and responsibilities include:
- Performs field inspections to ensure that projects are completed according to specifications; maintains construction records as required.
- Performs boundary and topographical survey field work.
- Uses electronic surveying and data collection equipment to develop horizontal control and to set up center lines and base lines as required.
- Develops vertical control by setting bench loops for the City Benchmark system.
- Records field notes so that plan, profile, and cross sections can be drafted by others.
- Performs construction stake-out of city projects and reviews stakeout and cut sheets.
- Provides information and assistance to the general public regarding construction projects.
- Confers with and assists the general public regarding inconveniences from and possible solutions to construction activities.
- Performs miscellaneous survey work such as determining ownership lines of particular parcels for the purpose of assessments, condemnations, etc.
- Designs and stakes out work for City Public Works and other City Department crews.
- Trains, supervises and directs the activities of Engineering Aides and seasonal employees.
Qualifications, Required Training and Experience include:
High school graduate with technical training in civil engineering and surveying and one to two years engineering or construction experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to conform to the list of qualifications. Experience in AutoCAD, especially in Civil 3D, design, is preferred.
The City of Fond du Lac offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental & life insurance, as well as participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. Salary range is $23.21 – $24.54. Applications are available at the City Human Resources office on the 4th floor of the City-County Government Center, by calling (920) 322-3624, or clicking the link below.
The position will be open until filled with the first application review starting Friday, March 1, 2019.
Equal Opportunity Employer