The City of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, is a beautiful and thriving community of 44,678 located at the foot of Lake Winnebago. Fond du Lac is a great place to live and work and its recreational opportunities are second-to-none. In addition, Fond du Lac is only an hour away from Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Madison and all those communities have to offer.
We are accepting applications for a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist. This full-time position will perform various duties related to the development and maintenance of the City’s enterprise GIS. This includes, but is not limited to, mapping, creating and editing data, geodatabase design and development, application development, quality control, scripting, and spatial analysis.
Candidates must have the following experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position:
• Ability to create maps and develop applications using Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) solutions, including ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, and Portal for ArcGIS.
• Experience with using ArcGIS Online applications and solutions including Experience Builder, Story Maps, Field Maps, Dashboards, and Survey123.
• Knowledge of ArcGIS Enterprise, traditional and branched versioning, as well as SQL Server and/or PostgreSQL databases.
• Experience with writing scripts and expressions using both Python and Arcade.
• Knowledge of creating toolboxes and script tools.
• Experience with SQL, including writing definition queries and creating database views.
• General experience with creating, editing, and maintaining geospatial data.
• Ability to design and create geodatabases that incorporate both subtypes and domains.
• Knowledge of the ArcGIS Parcel Fabric.
• Experience with using ArcGIS Pro editing tools, including Move, Split, Merge, Edit Vertices, Extend/Trim, Copy Parallel, and COGO-related tools.
• Knowledge of topology and topological rules.
• Experience with creating attribute rules.
• Experience with GIS analyses, including buffers, joins, clips, intersects, field calculations, and statistical tools.
• Experience with data conversion techniques using CAD, GIS, and other data formats.
• Knowledge of geodatabase administration, including reconciling/posting, assigning privileges, and registering datasets.
• Experience with creating relationship classes, as well as one-to-one and one-to-many joins
• Knowledge of geocoding and creating locators.
• Skilled with developing training materials, as well as with providing training to staff on GIS-related software and workflows.
• Ability to prepare and distribute digital data requests for both internal and external customers, as well as consultants.
• Ability to communicate and work with staff from other departments and divisions throughout the City in an effort to enhance workflows using GIS solutions.
• Experience with cartography and using cartographic techniques to effectively communicate geospatial concepts.
• Experience with creating GIS metadata and documentation.
• Extensive working knowledge of ESRI-based GIS solutions, including ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online.
• Experienced with using Python, Arcade, and SQL.
• Able to work independently and with minimal supervision.
• Able to manage multiple concurrent projects.
• Knowledge of AutoCAD is preferred.
• Experience with training others on GIS workflows and technologies.
• Able to effectively communicate with coworkers and the general public.
• Possess an interest in learning and staying current with GIS-related technologies, workflows, and solutions by attending conferences, workshops, and other training events.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Candidates must have a degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in GIS, geography, computer science, and/or urban and regional planning. Candidates must also have a minimum of two years’ experience using ESRI software.
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive benefit package including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; long-term disability; 457 and Roth retirement plans; and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. This continues to be one of the best-funded public employee retirement systems in the country. The financial strength of the WRS is attributable to its unique plan design, funding discipline, strong governance, and the effective investment strategies of the State of Wisconsin Investment Board. Relocation and Educational Assistance is also available. https://www.fdl.wi.gov/hr/employee-resources/benefits/.
Paid Time Off: We offer a generous paid time off package including compensatory time in lieu of overtime, 9 standard holidays, 5 floating holidays, sick leave (8 hours/month); and vacation schedule based on previous career and field experience.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive compensation package ($27.38 – $31.29/hour) based upon knowledge, skills, and abilities with potential to receive additional step increases based on meeting and/or exceeding goals/expectations; annual COLA and step increases pending City Council approval of budgets; and future promotional opportunities in alignment with succession and career path.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a City application, or a detailed resume and/or cover letter describing your interest and experience as it relates directly to this position to Jackie Braatz (firstname.lastname@example.org). Open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer