The City of Fond du Lac is accepting applications for the position of Mechanic. This full-time position reports directly to the Fleet Operations/Electrical Manager, and will be responsible for providing 24/7 availability to the City with qualified onsite equipment repair and vehicle service to City property in all weather conditions, as well as perform routine maintenance on all city equipment.
Various duties, knowledge, and abilities include:
- Repairing gasoline and diesel engines, pumps, transmissions, differentials, electrical systems and hydraulic systems.
- Performing routine scheduled vehicle maintenance.
- Performing setup and install equipment on new vehicles
- Diagnosing and repairing starting and charging systems.
- Repairing a variety of trucks, cars, sweepers, rollers, tractors, cranes, saws, lawnmowers, heavy equipment, etc.
- Minor electric and acetylene welding and blacksmith work.
- Operating diagnostic test equipment.
- Changing and repairing tires.
- Thorough knowledge of the tools, equipment, materials, methods and practices used in the automotive or small to heavy equipment trades.
- Considerable knowledge of working hazards and safety practices.
- Considerable ability to diagnose operating difficulties and make repairs.
- Ability to work efficiently from service manuals, parts books and oral instructions, hydraulic and air schematics to wiring and vacuum schematics.
- Ability to keep records and make reports.
- Ability to efficiently diagnose and repair a variety of hydraulic systems.
- Knowledge to efficiently repair computerized systems: Engine, Transmission, etc.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- 200 or more hours in formal course work in mechanics or related fields.
- Three years’ experience in truck and heavy equipment and electrical repair work; hydraulic testing and repairs; and computerized automotive systems.
- EVT training desirable.
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin Commercial “Class A” Driver’s License without air brakes restriction, and with tanker and passenger endorsement.
- Must have a varied selection of tools to perform a large variety of repairs and parts replacements.
The City of Fond du Lac offers a comprehensive benefit package including health and life insurance, and retirement plans including participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System.
Salary: $23.73 – $27.12/hour. Job is open until filled.
If interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a completed application and resume describing your experience as it relates directly to this position.