The City of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, is a beautiful and thriving community of 43,151 located at the foot of Lake Winnebago. Fond du Lac is a great place to live and work and its recreational opportunities are second-to-none. In addition, Fond du Lac is only an hour away from Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Madison and all those communities have to offer.
We are seeking qualified candidates for the position of Meter Service Technician within the Department of Public Works Water Utility Division. The position is under general supervision to perform all duties necessary for the installation and maintenance of water meter repair and testing; as well as related work required for the Water facility.
We offer opportunities to make a positive impact on the local community as well as a flexible working environment and future promotional opportunities in alignment with succession and career path.
Specific duties include:
• Installing residential, industrial, and commercial meters
• Leak detection monitoring utilizing software
o Cross connection control
o Residential clear water
o Private lead service line
• Water service leak investigations
• Meter and Water service box maintenance; reading, testing, and repairing as required
• Locating/documenting water service boxes
• Other duties and tasks as required including cross-training on other Water facility responsibilities.
The position requires the employee to be frequently available for emergency response during off-shift hours as well as participating in the on-call rotation.
Qualifications and/or knowledge and willingness to learn of the following include:
• Materials, methods, techniques and equipment used in removing, repairing, installing and testing of meters
• Water distribution systems, construction/maintenance, and associated equipment
• Accurate computations and record keeping utilizing computer/tablet
• Establish and maintain effective public relationships
• Hand tool and specialized meter equipment use
• Electronic skills
• Possession of a valid Wisconsin Commercial “Class A” Driver’s License without air brake restrictions and with tanker endorsement within 90 days of hire
Desirable Training and Experience:
• Performing semi-skilled manual work on water facilities or troubleshooting electronics;
• Excellent customer service relations;
• Graduation from high school or equivalent.
The City of Fond du Lac offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, 457 and Roth retirement plans, and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. Starting salary range: $21.97 – $23.23/hour based upon knowledge, skills, and abilities with potential to receive annual COLA and step increases pending City Council approval of budgets.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a City application found at https://www.fdl.wi.gov/hr/job-opportunities/, or a detailed resume and cover letter describing your interest and experience as it relates directly to this position. Open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer