The City of Fond du Lac is accepting applications for the position of Meter Service Technician within the Department of Public Works Water Utility Division. The position is under general supervision to perform all duties necessary for the installation and maintenance of water meter repair and testing; as well as related work required for the Water facility.
Specific duties include:
• Installing residential, industrial, and commercial meters
• Leak detection monitoring utilizing software
• Cross connection control inspection
• Residential clear water inspection
• Private lead service line inspection
• Water service leak investigations
• Meter maintenance; reading, testing, and repairing as required
• Water service box maintenance
• Locating/documenting water service boxes
• Other duties and tasks as required including cross-training on other Water facility responsibilities.
The position requires the employee to be frequently available for emergency response during off-shift hours as well as participating in the on-call rotation.
• Considerable knowledge of the materials, methods, techniques and equipment used in removing,
repairing, installing and testing of meters
• Working knowledge of water distribution systems, construction/maintenance, and associated
• Ability to keep accurate records and compute calculations
• Ability to establish and maintain effective public relationships
• Ability to use hand tools and specialized meter equipment
• Basic computer skills with the ability to gain knowledge necessary to assist in the maintenance of Water
• Basic electronic skills
• Possession of a valid Wisconsin Commercial “Class A” Driver’s License without air brake restrictions and
with tanker endorsement.
Desirable Training and Experience:
Previous experience in performing manual work of a semi-skilled nature on water facilities; graduation from high school or equivalent; experience in handling the public with concerns in a professional, courteous, patient, understanding, quick thinking, adaptable, and responsive manner.
The City offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental and life insurance, as well as participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. Starting salary range: $21.97 – $23.23 based upon knowledge, skills, and abilities. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer