The City of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin is a picturesque and thriving community of over 43,000 residents located at the southern tip of one of the country’s largest inland lakes. Known for its world-class fishing, windsurfing, snowmobiling, hiking/biking trails and abundant wildlife, the Lake Winnebago area is a four-season outdoor playground. Just an hour from Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay, additional cultural and recreational opportunities abound. Residents enjoy a low cost of living, short commute times, a low crime rate and a low unemployment rate.
The City of Fond du Lac is seeking candidates for the position of Principal Planner. This full-time position reports directly to the Director of Community Development managing and coordinating various functions of the City Planning Division – interpreting municipal zoning, subdivision, floodplain, and other development related ordinances; coordinating activities of the Board of Appeals, Plan Commission and other related boards & commissions; reviewing site plans; and preparing various reports and records related to land use and development.
The qualified candidate will be responsible for the following:
• Providing information and interpreting municipal zoning, subdivision, floodplain, and other development related ordinances to developers, realtors, designers, property owners, and the general public
• Acting as liaison for the Board of Appeals, Plan Commission, Downtown Architectural Review Board and the Historic Preservation Commission; receiving and analyzing petitions for variances and re-zonings, analyzing requests, conducting site visits, formulating recommendations and conditions of approval, and preparing reports, maps, and other documents as required
• Managing the site plan review process for multifamily, commercial, and industrial development; receiving and distributing plan submittals;
• Administering zoning codes; researching legal considerations of land use law, zoning, and subdivisions
• Assisting in the implementation of the Comprehensive Plan, including map updates, map revisions, and text amendments
Requirements include a Bachelor’s degree in Land Use Planning, or a related field, with three to five years zoning administration and land use planning experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. Three to five years floodplain experience preferred. Multi-lingual a plus.
The City of Fond du Lac offers a comprehensive benefit package including health insurance, life insurance, and Wisconsin Retirement. The salary range is $68,212 – $78,000 based upon qualifications and experience.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a completed application and resume describing your experience as it relates directly to this position. Applications reviewed upon receipt. You may obtain application materials by clicking here, or contacting City Human Resources at (920) 322-3624.