The City of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, is a beautiful and thriving community of 43,151 located at the foot of Lake Winnebago. Fond du Lac is a great place to live and work and its recreational opportunities are second-to-none. In addition, Fond du Lac is only an hour away from Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Madison and all those communities have to offer.
The City of Fond du Lac is accepting applications for the position of Senior Network/Security Engineer in the Information Technology Services Department. This full-time position reports directly to the Director – ITS, and will be responsible for the overall management of a medium-size enterprise network; this includes the planning, design, 24×7 management, configuration, and coordination of the corporate LAN/WAN. This position also manages network security and policies.
The Senior Network Engineer must be able to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced office environment in meeting deadlines. The Senior Network Engineer must be able to handle multiple priorities combined with frequent interruptions. Organizational skills are essential, and a sense of urgency, the ability to make good decisions, and the prioritization of tasks are necessary.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
• Assess and evaluate current network computing infrastructure.
• Configure, support, and maintain/manage core network switches/routers as well as all internet access circuits/components.
• Design, configure, implement, install, maintain, upgrade, and monitor the status for the following components of the network and infrastructure:
o Network switches, routers, routing protocols, subnetting, etc.; Firewalls; DHCP systems
o Enterprise-level Active Directory internal and external DNS configuration
o Wide Area Network (WAN) connections
o Enterprise-level internet access circuits via external Tier1 and Tier2 providers
o Public and private corporate wireless networks via WLC/WCS
o Remote Access Virtual Private Network systems
o Voice data systems
o Network systems diagrams and documentation
o Surveillance camera systems
o Security certificates for SSL encryption
o VMWare virtual network infrastructure
• Manage network and data projects, including site remodels for networks and phones, secure bids for equipment, and manage timelines and implementation/installation.
• Detect, identify, and perform problem isolation and resolution throughout the network architecture.
• Utilize monitoring, mapping, and alerting software to perform network management by proactively collecting data and conducting real-time analysis on the performance of the network.
• Evaluate software and hardware lifecycles, set project timelines for implementation.
• Conduct research, evaluate, and recommend cost-effective network solutions and new technologies to support the technology strategies of the core business
• Execute contingency plans for network software and hardware failures including isolated and major outages
• Provide personnel training; create & enhance process documents. Keep abreast of emerging technology trends.
• Implement and support network security procedures.
• Identify and correct faults and provide a resolution of complex problem tickets as well as document troubleshooting steps for future reference
• Provide project management, project scoping, troubleshooting, problem resolution, documentation and customer management skills.
• Maintain and document the city-owned fiber assets.
Requirements include a 2-4-year degree in Computer Science or a related field and have had at least 5 years working as a Network Engineer or related position in the Information Technology field. Preferred certifications are one or more of the following: CCNA, CCNP, CISSP, CISM, CEH, GIAC, or related certifications, or a combination of diverse education and experience in the field of Networking and Security.
The City of Fond du Lac offers a comprehensive benefit package including health insurance, life insurance, and Wisconsin Retirement. The salary range is $68,000 – $78,000 based upon qualifications and experience.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a completed application and resume describing your experience as it relates directly to this position along with copies of required certifications.
Open until filled. You may obtain application materials by contacting City Human Resources at (920) 322-3624 or clicking here.