The City of Fond du Lac is accepting applications for the position of Water Plant Operator within the Water Division. Work is physical in nature. Specific duties include:
- Operating and maintaining well and booster pumps to provide adequate pressure and proper levels in water storage in reservoirs and elevated tanks;
- Monitor and maintain Radium Removal systems;
- Use the SCADA (supervisory, control and data acquisition) system to achieve the proper control over the above parameters and create reports;
- Assist with determining correct residuals of chlorine and fluoride by testing daily grab samples; adjust chlorine and fluoride feed equipment as deemed necessary;
- Assist in meeting the monitoring requirements given by the DNR and other agencies to keep the system in compliance;
- Conduct bacteriological analysis;
- Use a laptop computer to interface remotely with the SCADA program and onsite PLC’s (programmable logic controllers) to troubleshoot problems and reload programs, as well as ensuring proper water system functionality;
- Determine causes of alarms and resolve;
- Perform and log generator tests;
- Visually inspect sites and notify supervisor of any abnormalities;
- Assist with building, grounds and equipment maintenance at 15 well sites, 5 reservoir sites, 6 booster pumping stations, 3 elevated storage tanks, 4 water treatment facilities and various other facilities through the city;
- Maintain associated electronic equipment (i.e. radios, fuses, bulbs, microprocessors, etc.) as needed.
Position also requires the employee to be on-call every third week for a week, includes holidays and weekends for emergencies on a rotating basis.
Qualifications include: considerable knowledge or ability to learn of the various types of pumps, motors and automatic valves, their operation, maintenance and repair; ability to gain knowledge of, and implement, SCADA program procedures necessary for day to day water system operation; considerable knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions; working knowledge of motors and motor starters; ability to troubleshoot minor mechanical and electrical problems and repair the same, carry out oral and written instructions, keep accurate records and make reports, and notice strange or out of character things or people and situations around high security areas such as water reservoirs, towers, tanks and vessels, and report any of the above to proper authorities.
Successful candidate must have the ability to use or learn the usage of:
- Handheld Colorimeter, desktop Spectrophotometer, Laptop, Well tape, Tablet, Well House MCC, SCADA, GIS, Executime, and email;
- Pickup truck with a plow, ladder, hand tools, power tools, pressure washer, riding lawnmower, push mower, snow blower, etc.;
- Chemical feed pumps, well pumps, booster pumps, VFD’s, transfer pumps, ball valves, chemical hose and hose fittings.
Requirements include graduation from high school or equivalent, and two years of waterworks experience, or equivalent knowledge of water utility operations involving the operation, maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment; engines and motors is desired. Possession of valid Wisconsin Driver’s license is required. Possession of a valid water operator’s groundwater, distribution and iron removal license, or the ability to obtain such is required within 6 – 12 months of date of hire.
A comprehensive benefit package is offered including health, dental & life insurance, as well as participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. Salary range – $23.21 – $26.53. Apply by completing a City of Fond du Lac application.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt with first set of interviews being conducted after July 29th; open until filled.
Applications are available by clicking above; at the City Human Resources office on the 4th floor of the City-County Government Center; or by calling (920) 322-3624.
Equal Opportunity Employer