• Contact Info

    160 South Macy Street
    Fond du Lac, WI 54935   Map It
    Phone: 920-322-3430
    Fax: 920-322-3431
    Contact the City Clerk
  • Office Hours

    M-F: 7:45 am - 4:30 pm
« Back to News & Notices

News & Notices

Get The Lead Out

Posted 6/15/2016 | Water Utility

The City of Fond du Lac is taking steps to minimize lead levels in your drinking water. We have determined, along with the EPA and State of Wisconsin, that it is necessary to replace the lead service lines that distribute water in the community.

Lead service lines were typically installed before 1950, and installed before it was known that lead in drinking water posed a health hazard. Lead pipes are dull gray in color and are soft enough to be easily scratched with a house key. Also, a magnet will not stick to a lead pipe. A licensed plumber can determine if your service line and/or plumbing are made of lead and can replace them for you at your cost.

While lead is not found in Fond du Lac’s well water, lead may enter drinking water if it dissolves from lead gaskets commonly used in cast iron water mains installed before 1950, water service lines, internal plumbing, or fixtures containing lead, especially when water stands unused for several hours.

Below is a newsletter with information about the Private Lead Service Line Replacement Program along with a DNR brouchure with additional information and steps you can take to further reduce your risk to lead exposure. In the links below, you can also view our City Lead Service Ordinance, an FAQ brochure, and the forms that will need to be filled out for this year's program.

Residents are encouraged to contact the Water Business Office at (920)-322-3680 or drinkingwaterinfo@fdl.wi.gov with additional questions and concerns.

  • You can now view crime reports for the city of Fond du Lac. Click on the Crime Reports link at the left and you will be able to view reports for your area.
    Click here to learn more.

Top FAQs

  • 1. What are the winter parking restrictions in Fond du Lac?