Skip to main content



Check out some of our frequently asked questions below or contact us to learn more.

Who do I contact for Driver’s License/ID/Title Transfers?2020-07-24T14:22:50-05:00

Contact the WI Department of Motor Vehicles at 833 S. Rolling Meadows Dr. – 1-800-924-3570 – Plate RENEWALS can also be done at: *Festival Foods – 1125 E Johnson St *BP Gas Station – 948 S Rolling Meadows Dr

Who do I contact for Birth/Death/Marriage Certificates?2020-07-24T14:23:51-05:00

Contact the County Register of Deeds at 160 S. Macy St. – 1st Floor – 920-929-3018 –

Where do I find zoning, building, housing maintenance, subdivision and floodplain regulations?2020-07-24T14:24:38-05:00

City regulations may be located in various chapters of the Municipal Code, available on the City’s home page. The municipal code is a searchable document.

When do I need a building permit?2020-07-24T14:24:33-05:00

A permit is required for all new buildings, additions, interior and exterior alterations, garages, decks, swimming pools, sheds, patios, fences and all other improvement or repairs. If you are not sure, please call the Building Inspection office at (920) 322-3570.

When do I have to pay for parking in Downtown Fond du Lac?2020-07-24T14:24:20-05:00

Parking is free evenings and weekends! Two-hour parking for customers is FREE on Main Street every day!

What is the process for site plan review of a development project?2023-07-15T09:25:41-05:00

The Site Plan Review Committee reviews site plans for new construction and additions to existing commercial, multifamily and industrial development. The deadline for plan submittal is 12:00 p.m. Friday. Details for the number of plans to be submitted and required elements are available in the Site Plan Review guide on the Planning & Zoning tab of the Community Development page. For specific questions, please call Community Development at (920) 322-3440.

What is the process for obtaining a housing rehabilitation loan?2020-07-24T14:23:00-05:00

The first step is to contact Merry Arndt, Community Development Specialist, at (920) 322-3445 for a pre-qualification telephone interview to determine if you are eligible for the program. If you are eligible, an application will be mailed to you. If you meet program requirements, the Rehabilitation Specialist will inspect your home and review a description of the work to be done by a contractor.

What is the cost of a building permit and how long does it take for a permit to be issued?2020-07-24T14:24:10-05:00

The cost of a building permit depends on the cost of the job (labor AND materials). The permit fee schedule is available on the Permits & Fees tab of the Building Inspection page. A permit for work that does not require a formal plan review such as minor alterations, fences, siding, windows, roofing, etc. is typically issued at the Inspection Services counter while you wait. Permits for new commercial, industrial and residential construction, building additions, substantial remodeling, decks, garages and pools require plan review time which varies from 3-15 business days, depending on the project.

What is GIS?2020-07-24T14:24:24-05:00

GIS stands for Geographic Information Systems. It is a computer based system that links locational and database information enabling people to visualize patterns relationships and trends. Basically, GIS is a combination of computer based maps and information which help people answer real world questions.

What are the winter parking restrictions in Fond du Lac?2020-07-24T14:34:14-05:00

In the City of Fond du Lac, parking from November 15th through March 15th is restricted between the hours of 8:00 PM and 8:00 AM. On EVEN numbered days starting at 8:00 PM, parking is restricted to the even side of the street only. The same applies for ODD numbered days. NO PERMITS will be required. Any METERED AREA is restricted to 60 minutes between the hours of 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM. This policy overrides all other on-street parking restrictions in place on any street where parking is allowed.

Is there a mobile app to pay for parking in Fond du Lac?2020-07-24T14:23:08-05:00

Yes! Visitors parking in Fond du Lac able to conduct their parking transactions by mobile phone. Details on the Passport Parking System are available on the Parking page.

I need to talk to an inspector. When are they available?2020-07-24T14:23:13-05:00

Inspection staff is available weekdays between the hours of 7:45 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The amount of time inspectors spend in the office is governed by the number of inspections scheduled on a particular day. Most inspectors are available at the beginning of the work day or by appointment. Call (920) 322-3570 to speak with an inspector or to schedule an appointment.

How does the City dispose of surplus equipment?2020-07-24T14:34:18-05:00

The City uses auction web sites to dispose of surplus government equipment. The web sites can be found at

How do I view the Agenda and Minutes from the City Council and/or other Boards and Commissions?2020-07-24T14:23:54-05:00

To review the various board and commission meeting agendas and/or minutes, please click on “calendar” above. Agendas and Minutes are attached to the event on the date it occurred.

How do I get a parking permit for a parking lot or ramp downtown?2023-02-16T16:44:06-06:00

Monthly parking permits are available at a reasonable cost for most of the downtown parking lots and parking ramps. Refer to the “Downtown Parking Guide” for locations and rates.

How do I get a copy of my real estate tax bill?2020-07-24T14:24:29-05:00

To obtain a copy of your real estate tax bill, please contact the Fond du Lac County Treasurer’s Office at (920) 929-3010 or visit their web site at

How do I get a copy of a receipt that shows I paid my real estate taxes?2020-07-24T14:24:02-05:00

To obtain a copy of your real estate tax receipt, please contact the Fond du Lac County Treasurer’s Office at (920) 929-3010 or visit their web site at

How do I find out the dimensions of my lot?2020-07-24T14:23:04-05:00

The Engineering Division has assessor plat maps that indicate the dimensions of your lot; however the only way to determine your lot lines if you can not find property pipes is to hire a Registered Land Surveyor.

How do I determine the zoning for a property in Fond du Lac?2020-07-24T14:24:15-05:00

Zoning designations for all parcels in the City is available via Fond du Lac County’s GIS mapping ( For questions or assistance, call the Community Development office at (920) 322-3440.

How do I determine if a building permit has been issued for construction?2020-07-24T14:22:56-05:00

To report a concern regarding work without a permit, first check to see if there is a building permit card displayed in a front window. If there is a card displayed, it is likely that a permit has been issued for the work being done. If a permit card is not visible, obtain the address of the building and contact the Building Inspection office at (920) 322-3570. An inspector will investigate the property to determine if there is a violation and will follow up with the owner or contractor.

How do I contact the Clerk of Courts?2020-07-24T14:24:06-05:00

They can be reached at 920-929-3038.

How do I contact Envision Greater Fond du Lac formerly known as Fond du Lac Association of Commerce?2020-07-24T14:21:19-05:00

23 S. Main St, Suite 101, Fond du Lac, WI 54935



How do I apply for a job?2020-07-24T14:34:05-05:00

Click on Jobs; or Your Government, Human Resources, Job Opportunities.

Do I need a permit to replace sidewalk and/or my driveway approach (between curb and sidewalk)?2020-07-24T14:21:28-05:00

Yes, a permit is needed to remove and replace city sidewalk, to cut the curb, and/or to remove and replace or to initially install the approach to your driveway (between the curb and sidewalk). An inspection is required before the pour of any concrete in the right of way. City sidewalk permits are available from the City Engineering department, 920-322-3470.

Go to Top