The City of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, is a beautiful and thriving community of 43,151 located at the foot of Lake Winnebago. Fond du Lac is a great place to live and work and its recreational opportunities are second-to-none. In addition, Fond du Lac is only an hour away from Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Madison and all those communities have to offer.
We are seeking qualified candidates for the position of Water Utility Worker within the Department of Public Works Water Utility Division. The position is under general supervision to perform all duties necessary for the installation and maintenance of water distribution facilities.
We offer opportunities to make a positive impact on the local community as well as a flexible working environment and future promotional opportunities in alignment with succession and career path.
Specific duties include:
• Excavation and repair of water supply and distribution system infrastructure including mains, services, valves and hydrants using dump truck and hydro-vacuum machine
o Assist in backfilling of excavations
o Pour and finish concrete curb & gutter, pavement and sidewalks
o Full restoration of disturbed landscaping areas
The position also requires the employee to be frequently available for emergency response during off-shift hours as well as participate in the on-call rotation.
Qualifications and/or knowledge and willingness to learn the following include:
1. Water distribution systems processes, construction and maintenance, and associated equipment;
2. Dump truck operation;
3. Understanding of proper roadway and pavement repair;
4. Construction zone safety practices and procedures;
5. Possession of a valid Wisconsin Commercial “Class A” Driver’s License without air brake restrictions and with tanker endorsement within 90 days of hire.
Desirable Training and Experience:
• Performing semi-skilled manual work on construction and maintenance of underground facilities;
• Competent persons training and familiarity with calling in locates to diggers hotline;
• Graduation from high school or equivalent.
The City of Fond du Lac offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, 457 and Roth retirement plans, and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. This continues to be one of the best-funded public employee retirement systems in the country. The financial strength of the WRS is attributable to its unique plan design, funding discipline, strong governance, and the effective investment strategies of the State of Wisconsin Investment Board.
Starting salary range: $22.36 – $25.55/hour based upon knowledge, skills, and abilities with potential to receive annual COLA and step increases pending City Council approval of budgets.
Applications are available by clicking the link below; or submit a detailed resume and cover letter describing your interest and experience as it relates directly to this position to Jackie Braatz. Open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer