Commercial Plumbing Plan Review

As of September 1, 2017, the City of Fond du Lac has been delegated to perform Commercial Plumbing Plan Reviews for projects within the City limits.  Commercial, Multi-Family, and Grease Trap plans may be submitted.

How to Submit Plans to the City of Fond du Lac:

  • All plan reviews require a complete City of Fond du Lac Plumbing Plan Review form submitted with the plans.
  • Plans are accepted electronically by email to or downloadable file only.
  • Plan reviews are completed as time permits and/or how in depth review may be needed. We reserve the right to refer you to the state for the plan review at our discretion. Please call in advance to verify lead time for all reviews, (920) 322-3570.
  • See below “Documents/Links” for the City of Fond du Lac Commercial Plumbing Plan Review Application.

What is Defined as Plumbing?

Wisconsin Statutes, Chapter 145, states that plumbing means and includes:

“(a) All piping, fixtures, appliances, equipment, devices and appurtenances in connection with the water supply, water distribution and drainage systems, including hot water storage tanks, water softeners and water heaters connected with such water and drainage systems and also includes the installation thereof.

(b) The construction, connection or installation of any drain or waste piping system from the outside or proposed outside foundation walls of any building to the mains or other sewage system terminal within bounds of, or beneath an area subject to easement for highway purposes, including private sewage systems, and the alteration of any such systems, drains or waste piping.

(c) The water service piping from the outside or proposed outside foundation walls of any building to the main or other water utility service terminal within bounds of, or beneath an area subject easement for highway purposes and its connections.

(d) The water pressure system other than municipal systems as provided in Ch. 281.

(e) A plumbing and drainage system so designed and vent piping so installed as to keep the air within the system in free circulation and movement; to prevent with a margin of safety unequal air pressures of such force as might blow, siphon or affect trap seals, or retard the discharge from plumbing fixtures, or permit sewer air to escape into the building; to prohibit cross connection, contamination or pollution of the potable water supply and distribution systems; and to provide an adequate supply of water to properly serve, cleanse and operate all fixtures, equipment appurtenances and appliances served by the plumbing system”

Plumbing Information

Can a Property Owner Do Their Own Plumbing?

     Yes,  if…

  • The plumbing is inside the building.
  • The work is in a one-family dwelling.
  • The home is your primary residence–not a cabin, summer home, rental property business, etc. A primary business is determined as the address where a property owner claims permanent residency for voting and receipt of state or federal tax mailings.
  • You occupy the home, so this exemption does not apply to new construction. There are code requirements regarding plumbing fixtures that must be installed for a home to be occupied, including at least: one water closet, one wash basin, one kitchen sink, one bathtub or shower, and a water heater to meet the basic requirements of sanitation and personal hygiene.
  • The plumbing is in farm buildings (other than a new, one-family home) on property owned and occupied by the property owner, except where a license may be required by local ordinance.
  • Even in your own home, all plumbing installed meets the requirements of the Wisconsin Uniform Plumbing Code.

Remember: A permit is required.

Plumbing Contractor Requirement

When hiring a Plumbing Contractor make sure the plumber is licensed to do plumbing work in the State of Wisconsin and check to make sure the Master Plumber license is current and up to date. Ask for references and do your own research so you feel comfortable with the contractor you may choose for you project.

Air Admittance Valve

When using a AAV (air admittance valve) on plumbing installations, we require the test of the AAV be witnessed by the Inspections Department. FYI: When a sewer odor is detected in an area where an AAV is installed, there is a possibility that the AAV is malfunctioning & should be tested to make sure it is operating correctly. The stipulations that are required when installing an AAV must be followed. Also, when purchasing an AAV to install in your new plumbing project, make sure the manufacturer has registered the product to be used in the State of Wisconsin. See this link for the registration listing.

Air Admittance Valve (AAV) Tester

If you should notice a sewer odor in or around an area where an AAV (Air Admittance Valve) is installed and you think the odor may be coming from the AAV, here is a picture of the tester and a material list on how to make your own AAV tester. The following are instructions on how to use the tester when testing the AAV device.

  1. Follow manufacturer’s recommendations on where and how the device can be installed.
  2. Install Teflon tape to the threads. NOTE: Pipe Dope is prohibited to be used as a sealant on the threads.
  3. Screw AAV into tester.
  4. Add water to tester up to the top of the 1-1/2” pipe (at this point the water level should maintain without dropping for at least 1 minute or more).
  5. Spin out AAV (at this point, the water level should drop approx. 1” or more) if not, the test can be repeated to confirm the results. If test does not pass the AAV is defective and should not be used!
  6. Next (if the AAV passes the test) the AAV is ready to be installed. NOTE: After testing the AAV, DO NOT tip the device upside down. Follow manufacturer’s recommendations.

Supply List

  • 1-1/2” piece of 1-1/2” PVC
  • 6-1/2” piece of 1-1/2” PVC
  • 1…..1-1/2” PVC Female Adpt.
  • 1…..1-1/2” PVC Male x 1-1/2” IPT Male Adpt.
  • 1……2×1-1/2” PVC Bushing
  • 1……2” PVC Female Adpt.
  • 1……4” PVC Cap
  • 1……1-1/2” Mineralac Clamp
  • 1…..Bottom ½ of an 1-1/2” PVC glue P-Trap

Water Calcs, Tracer Wires & Water Calculation Sheets

Water Calculation Sheets are required on all new plumbing projects or additions with new plumbing fixtures being added. NOTE: When doing Water Calc Sheets, verify the “low water pressure” being used as the water pressure may vary in different areas in the city depending on which zone you may be working in.

Tracer Wire Requirements

382.30 (11)(h) (11) BUILDING DRAINS AND BUILDING SEWER (h) Locating requirements. A means to locate buried non−metallic sewers and private interceptor main sewers discharging to municipal mains shall be accomplished in accordance with one of the following options: Note: See Ch. SPS 382 Appendix for further information. 1. A tracer wire shall be installed in accordance with all of the following: a. Tracer wire shall be installed along the length of the non− metallic pipe. b. Tracer wire shall be a minimum of 18 gauge, insulated, single−conductor copper wire or equivalent. c. Tracer wire shall be located directly above and within 6 inches of the non−metallic pipe. d. Tracer wire shall be accessible and locatable within the owner’s property at 400−foot intervals or increments thereof. e. Exterior access locations shall include a means of protecting the tracer wire. f. In−ground sleeves shall be installed as provided in s. SPS 382.35 (5) (a) 2. c. and d. g. Where tracer wire is more than 6 inches from the pipe, tracer wire insulation color shall comply with subd. 1. h. h. Tracer wire insulation color for non−metallic sewer pipe shall be green. i. Tracer wire conductivity shall be tested prior to use. j. Conductive warning tape may not be utilized in lieu of tracer wire. 2. Global positioning system data shall be recorded with the municipality where the non−metallic pipe is installed. 3. Another equally−effective means acceptable to the department shall be employed to mark the location of the non−metallic pipe.