The City of Fond du Lac has adopted State of Wisconsin Building, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Codes.
The municipal code includes chapters for zoning, building, plumbing, heating and electrical standards, as well as regulations for housing and property maintenance. The code is a searchable document. To learn about home improvement practices, visit the Wisconsin State Legislature site.
Please contact the Building Inspection Division at (920) 322-3570 with questions regarding City regulations.
When do I need a permit?
A permit is required for but not limited to: new buildings, additions, interior and exterior alterations, siding, roofing, garages, decks, windows, swimming pools, sheds, patios, fences, electrical work, water heater replacements, furnace replacements, plumbing work, signs and all other improvement and/or repairs.
Permits for minor alterations or maintenance repairs may be waived by the City Building Inspector. To verify if a permit is needed, please call the Building Inspection office at (920) 322-3570. To report a code violation, please use the Code Violation Reporting Form.
Commercial Plan Review
The City of Fond du Lac has been delegated to perform Commercial Plan Reviews.
These Commercial Plan Reviews are done only for buildings within these guidelines:
- New buildings containing less than 50,000 cu. ft. total volume.
- Additions to existing buildings where the total volume after construction of the addition is less than 50,000 cu. ft.
- Additions to existing buildings containing no more than 2,500 sq. ft., no more than one floor level, 18 foot-maximum roof span and 12-foot maximum exterior wall height.
- Alterations to existing building where the area of altered space is less than 10,000 cu. ft. of total volume.
All other plans are required to be sent to the State of Wisconsin.
State of Wisconsin Building, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Codes
How to Submit Plans to the City of Fond du Lac:
- All plan reviews require a complete SBD-118 form submitted with the plans.
- Plans are accepted electronically by email to email@example.com or downloadable file only.
- Plan reviews are completed as time permits and/or how in depth review may be needed. We reserve the right to refer you to the state for the plan review at our discretion. Please call in advance to verify lead time for all reviews, (920) 322-3570.
Required Inspections for work being completed
- Water and sewer lateral inspection
- Building / deck footings inspection:
- Building foundation inspection
- Building drain tile inspection
- Under basement floor plumbing inspection
- Under basement floor vapor barrier inspection
- Building electric service inspection
- Building rough inspections: Framing, Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing
- Insulation inspection
- Shower/tub safing (site built showers/tubs)
- Final Inspections for occupancy: Framing, Electrical, HVAC, Insulation, Plumbing, Engineering final grade, fire protection (if applicable)